Our doctors help patients with kidney stones determine the best treatment options for their individual circumstances.
Symptoms of kidney stones include:
- Blood in urine
- Frequent urination
- Painful urination
- Mild to severe pain in midback or side
- Nausea and vomiting
Kidney Stone Risk Factors
Several risk factors can contribute to an imbalance of minerals in the urine, which can lead to kidney stones. Some risk factors, such as a family history of kidney stones, can’t be changed, but there are many that you can control to help reduce your risk of developing kidney stones.
- Not drinking enough water
- Too much sodium in diet
- Not exercising often enough (living a sedentary lifestyle)
- Being overweight
- Living someplace that is too hot or dry
- Frequent urinary tract infections
Treatment Options for Kidney Stones
If you have kidney stones, there are generally two main treatment options are available.
- Pass the kidney stones on your own. Small kidney stones can be passed through the urinary tract. Medication can also be used to assist with this.
- Procedure for kidney stones. Procedures are usually done if a kidney stone is too large and needs to be broken up to help them pass.
Your doctor will discuss all of your available treatment options and help you determine which treatment is best for you.
To schedule an appointment to consult about treatment options for kidney stones, contact our office today.